Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sick at Home

Ok, so I was sick yesterday and Im still sick at home. Went to the ER last night and I wanted to screeeeeeeeeeeeam. We got there at 11p and I KID YOU NOT the ER was dead!!! DEAD I tell you! And we didnt leave until three hours later. Two docs were working --- and I use the term loosely.

My roomie took me and we waited and waited and waited. Once I got a room, laying on the bed, I almost fell asleep. My roomie started to get a little giddy from sleep as well. She started to mess with all the things in the room. "Let's play DOCTOR" she says. A phrase which drudges up bad memories of a childhood where I always got stuck being Dr. Kavorkian's patient! :P

She starts to wrap the blood pressure cuff around my arm -- now this really does scare me. I dont like when it gets tight because I freak out, but usually when the nurse does it right as I am about to go over the edge it releases. This time, it gets tighter and tighter and doesnt release. I look at my roomie's confused face, fidgeting with the release and then she says words that no one should EVER utter around me, "Why is this not working?!" Oh my GOD that was it for me...

GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME! I feel my arm going NUMB and I panick. She looks down, quickly unwraps the cuff and I sigh relief, arm throbbing, I look for my panick/nurse button to be saved from my friend who is trying to kill me!

Next, she takes my temperature. Girl was seriously tired. She checked mine and hers. Hers: 99F. Mine: 97.3F

Roomie: Im hotter than you!!! ;)

She then proceeds to checking my ears and she swears she sees buildup, and wait, wait, OH MY GOD something is moving ----

Me: GIVE ME THAT!
I check her ears. I have always wanted to look. It was really cool. From the corner of my eye I see someone watching us, then clearing their throat. I glance up to see this cute guy looking at us, shaking his head and my roomie and I laugh and get red in the face. He says, Im going to have to keep an eye on you two!! Yeah, whatever. :D

It took three damn hours before I was checked out. Turns out I was right. Right on the money about what I had. The ER Doc was confident until he realized I knew what was up. The nurse took a culture. I was given antibiotic and sent home.

I went to sleep immediately when I got home. I feel awful for my roommate who had to go to work and drill in people's teeths. Im staying home, iA, until my culture comes back. My doc will have results by Wednesday, hopefully clearing me to come to work Thursday.

I bought a new phone online yesterday. Its the enV from Verizon. Pretty cool phone. It should come in the mail tomorrow. Thats good, it will give me something to play with while Im sick.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad one just see's cute doc's in the ER ward.
--Nightingale

The Brown Girl said...

Yeah thank God my doc wasnt cute -- itd be a little embarrassing to be candid. :D

Im really not attracted to guys in the medical field. I find business people far more fascinating and attractive. :D

Anonymous said...

business people more attracting?? Well I am a businss girl and yes I do come across some really handsome guys in this field, but I kind of find doctors fascinating, as long as they are not my doctors lol
--Nightingale