Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My Simple Life


This past Saturday is where my nightmare starts. Early in the morning I wake up and come into my living room. Ten minutes later all my electricity gets shut off. Puzzled, I call upstairs to my landlady's house and inquire about their electricity. Theirs is fine.
Uh-oh, I think. I call the electric company and for the next 3 hours scream, shout, bitch, complain, and threaten (ok no I didnt do this) them into turning it back on. Come to find out, Friday afternoon my landlady decides to switch over the electricity into my name, albeit 10 months later. Of course she cannot do this without my ok, so she tells them she will contact me and tell me to call in and have it switched over. God knows why, but the order is placed as a turn-off rather than a switch-over. The turn-off usually happens within three days, but because Im so lucky, it got done that same Saturday.

So there I am, in my apartment with no electricity. My immediate thought went to my refridgerator. I didnt have much in my fridge, but my freezer was stocked full of frozen items. I knew I had to do something about that, so I gave my landlady most of my fridge items when she came down to apologize. My first thoughts after that: I'll just watch movies instead of cable. DUH! The electricity went, not the cable. No electricity, no TV. Second thought: No AC. Thats ok, I'll just use the fan. DUH! No electricity, no fan. Third thought: Fine, this will force me to read Quran -- WELL I MOTHER FREAKING CANT DO THAT EITHER RIGHT NOW! Fourth thought (and this is the funniest): OMG OMG OMG. How will I sleep at night without a light???

We dont realize just how many things run on electricity until you slowly realize you cant use any of the items. Nothing.

But, Alhamdullilah, Im blessed to have a friend close by who invited me over to her house for the night, but I decided to go home to my parents'. My mom and sister were leaving for Canada for two weeks, so I really wanted to see them off.

Originally, I was told that my electricity would be restored Thursday, to which I replied that was out of the question! Screaming and bitching helps, I got it switched to Monday after threatening to walk outside and flip the "switch" myself.

I come home Monday afternoon, expecting a huge mess to be spilling out of my freezer, but it wasnt too terribly bad. The ice bag I had had only partially melted, but everything else was ruined. 15 minutes and four bags of trash later everything was cleaned up.

Ma: Well atleast one good thing came of it: it forced you to clean out your fridge and get rid of everything in your freezer that you had no intention of ever using. (That and then some!)
The one good thing that came of the darkness was that it forced me to stay out of the apartment for most of the daylight hours. I had a lot of fun, too. I went shopping to the little outside markets. I had pizza for lunch from my favorite place thats a drive aways but it was worth it. Then, I went to my favorite store ever: Barnes & Noble. I took my books and studied in the sunlight in one of the most comfiest chairs ever.

So, all ends well, that usually never starts well, SubhanAllah. I've come out of the dark, and back into the light. Electricity is a pretty cool tool.
Friday night was awesome. I met my father at my elder sister's house for dinner and I got to see the best children in the world! As they grow, they're growing into personalities and developing their own likes and dislikes and tempers. And... Im proud to say, they've inherited my family's genes for story-telling.
Idrees' story: There once was a King named Idrees. And a queen named Farah Khala. King Idrees went to the beach and he fought with a monster.
Fatima: There's no such thing as monsters! The monster fell into the water.
Thats right babes, you tell him! No such thing as monsters. Just dont ask Farah Khala why she sleeps with a light! :P
The funniest thing:
Baji: Idrees, beta, give the adhan.
Idrees: Now?
Baji: Yes, beta.
Idrees: But who's going to come?
(Cutee... he thinks there has to be a lot of people in order to make adhan effective. Kinda like, Im not giving adhan for JUST these guys --- thanks.. love ya too!)
Baji: Yes, beta, you give adhan and watch. We'll all come to pray.
Idrees: Really?!
Then he looks at me.
Idrees: Farah Khala are you going to pray, too.
Ah, hell. The ONE time he gives adhan and I cant pray. Perfect timing, really. Thank God he forgot all about me not being in the lineup after giving adhan. Thats another good thing about children: shorter attention spans.
:D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salaam Farah,

Phewww!!!...Thanks God, the electric company that was servicing you was not my company. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have been the cursed employee of the company on your blog. Hmmm!!! BTW, imagine, what if you were in NYC, and my company was servicing your territory with gas and electric...meaning I have the full control of turning-off your both utilities at the same time...I know I will roasted by your attitude...but just imagine!!!...I kid!!

Allah-Hafiz,
~eysheikah

Anonymous said...

I think the folk at these utility companies take pleasure in our misery. They are playing God. They can practically dictate everything you can and can't do!

Really, how hard is it to turn the power/water/internet/gas back on? But you don't have any other options, so they can take all the free time they want.

Just pray for the world I'm never granted that kind of power. :}
I can think of at least a few people I'd love to make SQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRM!!!

Anonymous said...

Not at all!!!...we don't take any pleasure in our customer's misery...Ok, may be a little!!!

Really, the industry is highly regulated (through Public Service Commission- PSC) and has to go through tons of regulated protocols before conducting any tasks, as easy it may sounds, i.e. turning-on the lights. On top of the regulations, you are dealing with union workers at the customer service level who will make sure that the company is run as per their agreements. The day you make the utility environment free of union workers then see the difference. We welcome that blessed day, hopefully!!!

~eysheikah

The Brown Girl said...

LOL Ahsan! Yeah my luck it would be you... but something tells me you wouldnt make me squirm -- knowing Id blog about it and force you to read it! hahaha

The Brown Girl said...

Khizzle: I AGREE 100000%. There are totally tons of people Id gladly plunge into darkness for a lot longer than need be!

And yeah .. how hard can it be to switch it back? I said the same thing to the guy -- Im like MONDAY!? TO HAVE SOMEONE WALK OUTSIDE AND PUSH A BUTTON???

Anonymous said...

Come on Farah!!!...even if you were in NYC I'm not going to squirm you...I'm really sharif in that sense...AND please don't confuse that word with Nawaz Sharif or Barbara Sharif alike!!!...lol!!!

Be well.

~eysheikah

The Brown Girl said...

i know theres no confusing the two! believe me! hahahaha