Friday, July 28, 2006

Is honesty really the best policy?

I had an epiphany last night as I lay on my couch starring up at my living room ceiling watching a small spider spin a web. How honest am I with myself? How big is the web of lies I have spun? I always and forever have thought that you can lie to the world but you cannot lie to yourself. But in reality, lying to yourself is better known as denial. And when put like that, it makes sense: People lie to themselves everyday. They carry on a facade of ecstacy and they dig a tunnel so deep that suddenly they become disoriented and don't know which way is up and out.

Every rishta, every relationship I have had in the past I have suppressed my inner feelings and thoughts. Desi culture puts an embargo on our hearts from ever expressing our true feelings. But is desi culture really to blame here? I may be born and raised here, but I still have a Pakistani heritage. There are traditions and values that are certainly tattooed on me that will never change, right? On the flip side, being raised in America has also left its mark. There are things about me and my thinking that clashes with Eastern culture. Growing up was always a struggle trying to get my father to accept my 'radical' thinking. Or was it a struggle because I was trying to accept myself? If even tattoos can be laserly removed, then change is imminent.

There are things that I have to learn to accept about myself and my personality that I cannot change or suppress. It is a lot easier thinking someone judged you for your looks, though it may seem harsh at first, than to take the time and do some soul searching (And no I dont mean as in, do I have one or not!) and realize they liked you better when you were uninhibited.

The sad thing is that as long as we live in a society amongst desis hell bent on keeping the double standard alive, no one will ever be honest, no one will ever show their true identity (wouldnt it just be easy if Spiderman didnt have to hide who he really was?).

I, however, am better than that and will rise above the illusion of a perfect world, and admit to myself that something's got to give. ABCDs for the longest time have been stereotyped for being confused, neither here nor there, but honestly, we come out on top because we have the luxury of being able to be water and flow through different cultures, traditions, and languages with ease. We have the ability to see the world for what it is and still like it (thats the American in us). We're not fooling anybody and trying to blend amongst the rest (like immigrants coming to America, or Americans going abroad). We're trying to find ourselves. And we won't do it unless we come clean with ourselves and recognize who we are. We wont do it until we accept that we are different from the rest, and that different is not a bad thing. We are not Pakistani. We are not American. We're the best of both worlds. We can have it all if we want. But to do that, we must first be honest.

I must be honest with myself and realize what I want may not be entirely what society will condone and may possibly frown upon a single girl single for a minute longer than she has to be. People fear the unknown, and most desis would rather not have a woman realize her own strength. But I cannot let my fears of being an outcast in society condemn me to a life of eternal misery. I'd rather have people respect me as a single woman sure in her skin and ready to tackle anything that comes her way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"(Wouldn’t it just be easy if Spiderman didn’t have to hide who he really was?)."
I agree with your last paragraph, you have to live your life to it's fullest because it's a gift from God. Do not make it miserable because of some cultural requirements (These requirements are not ingrained only in Desi culture, remember Sex and the City).

Impressive analogy, but contradicting to your own point of view about Desi culture. Isn't Spiderman is hiding his true self to live in the American Society or should I say to survive mankind. So why to blame Desi's only, it's in every culture/society.

Dishonesty started with the very begining of humankind, what Adam and Eve did to God? What Angle Iblees did to God?

Have you ever thought that this might be just the struggle between being American and Muslim? I think you have to decide that what you want to be, an American Muslim or Muslim American. Once you figure that out, you will come out of the web of lies. Because than all you have to do is to pick between House#1 and House#3, there will not be any House#2 because it do not exist but to a certain extent you construct it with the love of family. The key to the strong foundation of that House will be based on your right selection of the initial house.

Point to ponder is that why these ‘rista’ problem exist with ABCD female counterpart not male counterpart. From my experience they ABCD males already decided which House they belong too either House#1 or House#3.

NOTE: TO GET MORE EXPLANATION ABOUT HOUSE 1, 2 & # READ FARAH’S POSTING ON TUESDAY, JULY 25, 2006
Brunette Punjaban and the Three Muslim Brothers

The Brown Girl said...

Spiderman shouldnt have to conceal his own true identity.

People don't want to believe that humans are capable of miracles, too. They don't want to find the strength to fight injustice on their own.

House #2 is not a myth. It exists only to those people who look beyond their own shallow existence and transcend to a state of peace with who they are.

The Brown Girl said...

Besides, read Shoaibs comment to the Three Brothers' Story. This story happens to everyone when they're faced with the thought of settling down.

btw: settling down is not to be confused with 'settling' (ie which is an act of desperation)

Anonymous said...

Atleast we agreed that Hypocrisy and dishonesty is not only in Desi culture/society.