Sunday, July 09, 2006

No Pickles, No Mustard?

When searching for a future partner compatibility is key. But how many things is it necessary to agree on? Is it 10/20, 15/20, or closer to 20/20? The basics, of course, being religion, culture, traditional values, and educational background. (let's be real... how many things do brain surgeons have in common with truck drivers? Im not saying its impossible.. just highly unlikely!)

So what else do I need to consider? I'd swap looks for decency, riches for God-fearing, and popularity for security any day of the week. I believe most women think this way, the sincere ones anyway. So why do men get to be superficial and get away with it? Why do men get to be the ones that say they are jerks and we're still supposed to be delighted they even gave us the time and day (for the moment's time and day... cuz God only knows what tomorrow will bring?)

The decision is a toughie, but I still truly believe we're overthinking the situation. We're making it so much more difficult for ourselves. Back in the day, our parents put blind faith in their elders and had their life decisions made for them... and thank Allah (swt) they are still together today. Their relationships have stood the test of time, children, pain, losses, wealth, and poverty.

What lesson havent we learned? We've become too picky, too independent, too self-suficient. We have no room for compromise. Its our way or the highway.

...single by choice not by chance.

Are we really doing ourselves a favor by holding out for the most perfect soulmate or are we just letting ourselves get in the way of our future?


I love pickles, I love mustard. Should that matter too?


I'm at my sisters place with Ali, watching the children while she gets to attend a wedding. Im finally getting a chance at blogging. Too much going on in my life. and DAMMIT I still havent sent my laptop in to be fixed! Can someone just do it for me please?

BTW: I finally burned the clutch on my car! Years and years of constant gear-grinding (on purpose of course... perfection has to choose to make mistakes! jk) Over $900 worth of damage on my car. And I totally understand what "liability" means in terms of insurance. It means I'm getting screwed because nothing is covered on my OWN car. (Ok who put that bitchin' policy together?) So because my car was in the shop I had to get a rental. Do I get hooked up with a hot car? No. Of course not. I end up with scrap metal on wheels: Ford Focus. I was searching around my glove compartment for my rental agreement, eyes closed, because I was afraid of finding a little sign that read: Fisher Price *Warning: Small parts may cause choking in young children. How about WARNING: American cars will induce vomitting to those used to foreign cars. (Fresh off the Boat cars are acceptable!!)

Its an automatic. Ick. Those are the most boring things to drive. I'm not complaining... Im really not. I'm blessed to have something atleast.

No comments: