Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Did you know...?

So forever and ever I was under the impression that Bata was a Pakistani company. (SK: Kamal hai, thum log samaj thay ho sab kuch hi thumhara hai!) Well, its not Indian entirely, either. Its history dates back to the late-1800s (1894 to be exact) under the Austro-Hungarian Empire which is known as the Czech Republic today. The company was founded by Thomas J. Bata whose family held a long line of cobblers.
Today, the global company is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland and has business units in Europe, Africa, Latin-America, Asia, and North America.
I've been to the website (www.bata.com) and I must say Im impressed. I always knew they had fancy shmancy desi footwear (think: gaudy!), but I see they have boots and other shoes that I wouldnt mind wearing in every day style.
BATA - A company worth buying stock in indeed.
(information was taken from Wikipedia in a challenge to locate the origin of the company in a bet that I won and SOMEONE else lost -- guess what.. Kashmir belongs to Pakistan, and so does EAST-PAKISTAN! :P)

2 comments:

Sikki said...

Whatever! As I said before, the site is fake, someone from your country must've tried to hide the truth.

On other note - something wrong with your phone again?

Sikki said...

well since we re talking about BATA...here is an interesting article for the your reading pleasure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5055542.stm