Thursday, February 08, 2007

I HAVE A SECRET..SHHHHH!!!!

...and you're silly if you think Im going to say it here. HA! I got my friend Monika struggling to get it out of me. Here's how the story came about:

My passport has expired, but more interestingly than that Ive lost it. I didnt lose it recently, its been a while. The most travelling I ever do is to Canada and in the past Papa Jaan's security clearance gets me into the country no questions asked. But now I need one. I have to get issued a new one and of course they ask you to prove your identity which is a lot easier said than done since I seem to have misplaced my birth certificate, too. (Subhan'Allah to my organizational skills you say? Its more like MASHALLAH to moms thirty billlion suitcases in the attic, strategicially placed so you are completely thrown in looking for the one with all the TOP SECRET DOCUMENTS!)

Now, its not just simple enough to go to the city where I was born asking for my original document. My name has been changed from my original birth certificate, and the changed document is the one I cant find. Drama, I know. So now my option is to get a copy from my school records and hope a copy will suffice. I dont know where to go if I cant use a copy.

Jeez, criminals are better at passing themselves as me than I am! Its scary but this whole thing is making me wonder... if suddenly you had to prove yourself (above and beyond driver's license and paper documents) how would you do it???? Scary.

Ive totally been meaning to get my mother a fireproof "black box" of sorts to keep all our documents in. She used to keep it at the bank until I asked for them. (Ah, maybe I am partially to blame)

Anyway, so I come to my original post: I have a secret: my original name on my birth certificate and it is hideous I tell you, hideous. I refuse to tell anyone. EVER!

Maybe I'll make an exception for the person I marry -- maybe. So, Monika, if you marry me -- I'll let you know... maybe. :P

3 comments:

Nashiah said...

so if i comment on ur blog, will u tell me?

The Brown Girl said...

Nashi, my first love.. for you I shall make the exception.

Anonymous said...

When and why'd you change your name?