Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Beware of Bundled Software

Sometimes you get stuff you didnt pay for and at times you pay for some things you didnt get.

As I ran this morning, early early in the morning without any breakfast or water -- if you think my posts are weird on a full stomach, you know this one will turn your stomach haha -- I contemplated lots of situations eating away at me.

First of all, its true what my mother said to me in regards to marriage:

"You're only seeing the glorified aspects of marriage; its not a facetious matter. It takes a lot of hardwork and it can be frustrating and challenging to make it work."

I need someone to cut me a reality check quick on the horrible, awful, painful attrocities of being married so that I can enjoy my single days without wishing I had someone to cook for.

Marriage, to me, is like a computer invoice slip. There's the stuff you paid for: safety, security, love. Then there's stuff you upgraded to like a nicer home, vacations, companionship, more money, etc. And then there's the stuff on your invoice that comes bundled with your marriage like software for your computer that you'll never use like fights, snoring, bills bills bills, children, and added responsibilities. These show up as freebies and the dollar amount is $0.00 all the way down. You cant give it back either.

You: Ah, yeah, excuse me [Sales Representative], there must be a mistake. I didnt want the SpyingMotherInLaw3.2 BETA. It makes my computer super slow and it causes my Husband3000 to crash. I didnt pay for that. Could you please take it off?

Representative: Oh, that. Heh heh heh. It's free. It comes bundled with your marriage. Thanks for shopping with us. Have a great day!

I want someone to tell me I have it good for a change. It's not lying. They're miserable and I know it! So why do I want to be like them? I'll tell you why... its a conspiracy! This society is run by a bunch of crackhead married folk who don't want to be married alone so they conspire against us and find all kinds of ways possible to make us miserable for being single, like filing taxes as a single instead of couple, and try and force us into situations of meeting the opposite gender. Conservatives are so miserable in their marriages, they're ready to throw the bible at two guys shackin' up together but yet preach separation of church and state in all other matters.

How can one not be suspicious? My family stops talking once I enter the room. They ask me for my pictures as if 25 years of looking at me wasnt enough to form a lasting memory. They invite me over for dinner at odd hours of the day.

Ma: Just make sure you get here between 12 - 3p on Saturday afternoon.
Me: Ma, thats my home! I dont need an invite.
Ma: Make sure you are here!
Me: Ohhh, I know what this is.
Ma: What?
Me: Oh please. Im not coming this weekend. No, see, they're re-paving the street and Im going to watch tar dry.

Who's paranoid? Im not paranoid. Im A-nnoyed!

Let's take this one step further shall we. What are our options? If I had to pick a profession for my soon-to-be hubby, what would I pick? You cant trust anyone.

Lawyers? They'll cheat you out of a retirement in a divorce settlement.
Bankers? They know better than you what you're worth.
Insurance Agents? They know what they'll be worth should something happen to you.
Mechanics? Three words: Loose lug nuts.
Doctors? They know how to kill you and make it look like it was accidental.
Engineers? They're like blueprints to a perfect design that defies all laws of physics in reality. Think in 3-D, but work one-dimensionally.
Actors? You never know how they're really feeling. Its all a facade. The world is a stage and you'd like to push them off it...
Psychologists? They know how to make it look like death was your idea.
Business People? Theyre always looking for a better deal. He who looks will find it.

Did I leave anyone out?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, hey!!! I don't think in 3-D but work one dimensionally...C'me on Farah!!!
Now who is paranoid? I'm not paranoid.
BTW, you missed- cytotechnologist, a pilot, union leader, a rapper, and a monk.
As stated in your para#9, My Dear Farah, there is no conspiracy and yes I am not miserable after getting married (Hmmmm!!! may be a little or never mind & lets say not at all). So please don't be afraid of getting into this wonderful relationship. You will be fine and will always endure the marriage, even though it comes with a lot of freebies....challenge is how to sustain it!!!

AH
~eysheikah

The Brown Girl said...

Pilots? Failure to launch ring a bell?

Union Leaders? All bark and no bite.

..and everyone knows rappers and monks dont get married.

Not happy?? Ahsan, you better watch it. Your sister-in-law reads this doesnt she!! lol

The Brown Girl said...

Cytotechnologists? Too used to microscopically analyzing the crap out of everything, we jump the gun quickly and err on the side of caution.

...caution.. not reason :)

Anonymous said...

First, I have to ask, what time do you wake up? You're practically an insomniac, yet you often seem to be up so early. I have to admit, I envy you for being so productive in the mornings. I would love to wake up early and do stuff, but I can never make it stick.

"And then there's the stuff on your invoice that comes bundled with your marriage like software for your computer that you'll never use like fights, snoring, bills bills bills, children, and added responsibilities."

I absolutely love how you threw children in there. What a bummer, huh?

You do have it good though. You're independent and content with life. Enjoy it for what it is :}

Sorry, this probably probably wasn't a very entertaining post.
I'm kind of bummed out right now. I heard back about that job in Seattle with bad news :{

The Brown Girl said...

yeah you made me wait for your post for forever to what I quote you as saying was "my best post ever!"

I wake up really early and sleep late... I know. not a good combo. Im a morning person by upbringing though. I was always taught to tackle the day head on before it tackles you.

besides where workouts are concerned id just as soon get them over with.. namean..

~eysheikah said...

Hey Salaam,

Not happy??? Nooooo, please don't get me wrong, I'm very much happy, Allhamidullilah. Yes, sometime, like any other relationship there are ups and downs to it. As long as you are committed, one can be fine.

And..Sarah, wouldn't mind as she is my very close friend other than being a sister-in law.

BTW, you are right on monks not being getting married but I beg to differ on rappers.....so give me line on rappers...hahaha!

AH
~eysheikah

The Brown Girl said...

Rappers? Got hos... in different area codes!


hahaha.. there.