Friday, May 11, 2007

Creating My Own Culture - Who's Confused?

We don't know enough about Pakistani culture and we don't fit in with American culture. I'm vowing to start a new culture; one that includes Islam but also encompasses all that is good from all cultures. No one's confused. We're adapting. It's societal evolution, survival of the fittest. Isnt it about time?

Yesterday was an exhausting day. My 400th post party was nice. Thank you to all those who showed up. :)


Halaqa was a lot of fun!!!!!!!!!! I swear I have the most awesomest group of friends in the world, mA really knowledgable girls who make Islamic discussions so much more interesting. They liked my khatira and also my cooking!! We were up talking for the longest time and then two girls spent the night -- so we went shopping for toilettries at a Walgreen's -- thank God for them being open 24/7.

I was simply exhausted last night -- went to sleep around 3am. Woke up with my alarm at 530a. I remember DISTINCTLY remember looking at the alarm and not snoozing it but turning it off because I said I was awake. I remember thinking Im just going to close my eyes for a minute. I woke up 3 hrs later! Im a mess today, tired but Alhamdullilah enlightened.


I really value religious discussions now more than ever... theres a comfort in discussing Allah (swt) these days too, somehow makes me feel like Im not alone and all I can do in this life is try my best to be a better person, but Allahu Alim, He (swt) already knows. Its a weird sense of self-assurance when you realize what you're doing has already been planned and thought out. Allah (swt) is merciful, and would never inflict us with intentional harms without reason -- or that which we cannot take and use to our purpose to better ourselves. Right?

I discussed technological advancements and the Islamic world, evolution, and the necessity upon us to learn as much as we can and to become exporters of goods rather than importers -- this goes along with anything and everything -- live your life so that what you put out benefits others and is greater than what you take in and use - don't wait for someone else to come up with an idea or invention -- figure it out on your own.

Did you know that global studies have been conducted finding Muslims with one of the startling highest rates of illiteracy in the world! And of the ones who can read, their general scope is the poorest. Imagine! The first command of the Quran revealed to the Prophet (saw) was, "Read." We dont read enough. We dont learn enough.

It worked out really well because everyone there was in the science/medical field. The Prophet (saw) himself said that the study of medicine was far greater than any other science or field of study. I think the reason why is because you cannot have such a heightened appreciation for the Creator until you recognize the intricate manner, the intensity, and the passion and detail with which we were created. When you learn about the human body, all the parts, all the mechanisms, all the self-correcting, negative feedback aspects, conception -- all the COSMICALLY opportune conditions required for the beginning of life, you are in complete awe at what He designed.

We're constantly unlocking medical mysteries. Allah (swt) states: For every disease there is a cure that has been sent down as well.

Think about it. I resolved to never go into research because I reasoned that it was likeable to reinventing the wheel, but really there is so much we dont know. There is so much of our body and mind that we dont use. What's the figure at --- like 6% -- we only use like 6% of our brain or something.

I think we take for granted a lot of what we have. One of the girls said it best, "We are a society of complainers." We have no concept of being thankful for what we have -- once we get what we dont have, its on to the next. We dont stop to live in the moment. And its ok to be consciously aware of the Hereafter and to work towards that goal, but to balance it so you have that goal in mind but can marvel in the day to day everyday...is a beautiful thing.

Thats what I learned from halaqa this week -- I want to live in the moment. I want to enjoy every aspect of my life -- really live it. I want to make an effort to read Quran each day and incorporate my readings into my day to day: let the Quran be my guide. I want to think. I want to be. I want to see, insha'Allah.

When will this time ever come again?

Stop and savor the icing topping each day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ASA Farah,

Very much impressed by your observations and your points are well noted.

I completely agree on your point of "I think we take for granted a lot of what we have. One of the girls said it best, "We are a society of complainers.""...

I think if we are reminded (humbly, let me talk about myself) periodically, an overall objective can be reached and accomplished and we might start living ourself in a moment and embracing Allah's (swt) blessings. I guess, the point is, in my opinin the way you share your islamic views like that on your post makes a big difference for all your readers. At least, mA, it is working for me as I enjoy reading it. Don't get me wrong, we all are educated and intelligent people but sometime we still need guidance at every level at alll time from Allah (swt) and that comes through one of Allah's (swt) source. In this case, your views on your blog works effectively in acting like that source.

Your spread of word and method of communication is much appreciated...Please do enlighten and share with us similar islamic topics that you learn from other people..

AH

~eysheikah

Anonymous said...

Mixing culture with religion can be a tricky thing. But I tell you what, as ill-informed as I am of my own culture, it has a rich history behind it, one that I feel would probably be better to learn than invent our own. (As if there isn't already enough deviation in each culture) What happens when our 'new' culture loses its significance with the coming generations? Would we want them to start anew too?

"I'm vowing to start a new culture; one that includes Islam but also encompasses all that is good from all cultures. No one's confused."

But how could that possibly be less confusing?! It sounds even more so to me. :D

There's something about Halaqas...you just, always come out of them with such a good feeling. It's enlightening, one of those cherished moments where you REALLY, I Mean REALLY reflect about your own deen and understanding of Islam, and you just don't want the night to end, as was reflected by some sisters even staying at your place.

You feel so much stronger towards your faith at the end of the night, but the amazing thing is that comes after you realize how little you really know. It's indescribable.

Hahaha, Walgreens' hours of operation have proven useful on more occasions than I care to count. I love them for it :D

I'm really glad you went with that topic. It's so important to understand that there IS a link between science and religion. It's one of the most misleading concepts taught in the world today. When Islam was at its peak, we (Muslims) were scientifically sound. Education was high, worldly knowledge was commonplace and we were at our strongest. It's not coincidence that they go hand in hand.

I look forward to reading about future learning experiences from you, and I'll have to put in a better effort to share more of my own as well.

The Brown Girl said...

perhaps im confusing culture with tradition. i want something to pass to my children -- something from here... something like.. i dont know.. going to the zoo to look at the monkeys after jummah prayer........or sunday brunch and Quran recitation... or.. something that fills the void of not having cultural festivals like Basant in Pakistan..........(kite flying)

im not saying run blindly from what is already..but incorporate it with as much from our lives here in the US that in the end.. coming here.. wasnt all for nothing.