Monday, May 07, 2007

With THIS Ring, I Thee Wed???


Sunday morning as I woke from a (drug-induced, Im sure) sleep coma I remember this weird dream having taken place. I'm not going to be mean and call it a nightmare because it wasnt one of those classic heart-in-your-throat, pulse-racing, sweat-soaked sheets nightmares, it was merely, perhaps one of the most, strangest dreams my fleeting insanity/wild subconscious has ever produced.

Now, you all know I do not take dreams literally, but I have yet to look up the meaning of this dream -- perhaps because it seems to have a selfishly unmistakable meaning. You be the judge.

In my dream I remember being proposed to. Wait, situations leading up to the "down-on-one-knee" act are a blur. I cant remember if Im in a hospital, but its funny because looking back/thinking back (which you're never supposed to rationalize a dream after having been awake for hours and hours --- too late.. ) the bed Im in seems like a hospital bed -- not sure if Ive been in an accident or whatnot. Anyway, this guy - I swear I KID YOU NOT he's totally undekha/unjana (unknown) -- comes in. I must know him because he comes right to me. And its weird but somehow in dreams... you already know whats going to happen -- I mean.. even though nothing's been said... you just know what's going on. I suppose its cuz my mind is the narrator.

Anyway, he comes over to me, left side, and its obvious he wants to marry me. I know I know.. you're thinking thats the punchline and I hate you for it hahaha.. but no thats not the strange part.

The strange part is the how. I hear him ask me...and again I dont say words but the its implied and he knows Ive said yes, ALLEGEDLY (haha), and I hear this plastic rustling... and I hear something pop open like... like when you're opening up a pack of batteries and you wrest the plastic free from the cardboard backing.

OH DEAR GOD.. thats soo NOT from Tiffany's!

Yeah.. you guessed it. He gets down on one knee and he pulls out this ... ring thats pink -- and thats not his only mistake -- and its .. one of those party favors you got from a birthday party back when you were 4. He's proposing to me with a Fisher Price knock-off pink diamond ring and my consolation prize is that it came packaged with earrings and a necklace????

Do I scream or do I swallow my tongue? I wake up before I find out what happens.

I look up two themes in the dream: ring and proposal. Now here's what Freud has to say (before looking.. I only ask that he be kind)

Ring - To dream that you receive a ring, denotes that your suspicions and worries over your lover will end. You will come to realize that he is true to his heart and will devote himself to your interest.

Hmmm...interesting.

Proposal - To dream that you are being proposed to, indicates that you are merging a previously unknown aspect of yourself. More directly, the dream suggests you are thinking about marriage or some serious long-term commitment/project/situation. Your reaction to the proposal indicates your true feelings about marriage or commitment.

OUCH! Ok no, reality is not pretty, but since when am I a flake? Stupid Freud...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That guy is a keeper. Not the classiest, but come on, anybody with the courage to try and pass a fisher price ring as a legitimate wedding ring deserves a chance.

But it's funny how your first reaction was, "thats soo NOT from Tiffany's!" You're not high maintenance or anything are you?! :p

The Brown Girl said...

Ya think he coulda told me who he was?!?!?! Im sure its some jamaat guy.. they dont ever know whats up anyway!

No Im not high maintenance.. but lets face it.. Im only trying to get married once.. ya know? BUt I'll get proposed to a million times if thats what it takes for him to get it right!

Anonymous said...

That's where guys luck out. We can screw up three times and still have hope :}

The Brown Girl said...

Yeah see. The first offer is just a platform to start negotiations.

He'd outta his damn mind if he thinks Id wear that. Do guys not realize that the world sizes them up based on that ring??

Bechara.. my unseen unknown guy was really totally clueless.

The Brown Girl said...

Maybe he thought all girls liked pink?

Anonymous said...

He was probably an accountant, trying to estimate your worth.

If you accepted the Fisher Price ring, then he'd see something was seriously wrong with you.

But you didn't, and since you don't know who he is, he can continue to pursue you, gradually upping the ante and you're none the wiser!

The Brown Girl said...

Au contraire... if hes an accountant he's not a very good one. Blind people can see the worth or unworth of that.

Anonymous said...

Haha, well...maybe he thought he was being generous?

The Brown Girl said...

you find a point for your story yet Abba Ji??

Anonymous said...

i googled 'ras milai' and came to your blog, but oh my god, you're hilarious and i love you. :-)

The Brown Girl said...

OMG are you serious?! lol.. thanks for the comment.

The Brown Girl said...

OMG no kidding. Its the first site listed -- awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's REALLY cool.

Farah, I found something else that's entertaining by trying that (to me at least!)

Search "ras milai" on Google, then next to your site, click on the link that reads "Similar pages". Read the first result :}

The Brown Girl said...

Its the NERD!!! Thats my friend's blog --- weird. LOL