Friday, May 18, 2007

Your Momma...!

This morning a friend and I went to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. As we walked in my friend mentions the all-Indian staff and their obvious dominion over all Dunkin Donut stores nationwide.

Her: They're all Patel-owned
Me: There's one in my hometown that has not succumbed to Indian rule yet.
Her: Oh wow, take pictures of it. It's the only one left. (kind of like an endangered species)

We get up to the counter to order and my phone starts to ring. It's my mother. Now, knowing me, you know I couldnt possibly have normal ringtones for my family/friends. Normal ringtones would be either the generic bells or song snippits. No, I have my mother's voice recorded commanding me to answer the phone come through as her ringtone a little something like this...

"Farah, phone chook, Teri ma ai!" in punjabi.

I'm clearly embarrassed because I realize everyone behind the counter understands. But I play it off thinking nothing more of it. Once we exit my friend busts out laughing,

Her: That lady was looking at you and smiling. You couldnt hear anything but "Teri Ma".

Ok for those who do not know "Teri Ma" is the desi equivalent of a swear word or a put down. I was standing infront of my bag, so I heard the whole thing, but no one else could hear the whole snippet. To add even more to the story, it was a woman's voice, repeatedly, and Im sure they thought I said it. (Ohh look, Ma's calling me as I write this.. hahaha)

I never ever thought about that... ever. I came to work and told one of our Indian prep tech's the story and judging by the look on her face "teri ma" is pretty bad. But nevertheless we laughed out loud for a very long time about it.

"Teri ma" is not just the literal "your momma", its much more than that. And today, it happened to be misunderstood by a lot of people.

No comments: