Monday, April 30, 2007

Detours, Slurpees, and the Weekend

I should probably make it a habit to start blogging on Sundays because otherwise Monday morning posts are overwhelming -- thank God its not my needle day, but I am the backup so I might have to keep being interrupted -- I know, Im bad. Im not supposed to consider work as an interruption.

Friday - Friday was really nice. I went to Penn area with two friends in search of an Islamic bookstore. I got to pray at Jamia Masjid -- I'd heard about it but never had the opportunity -- and then went to Makkah Market for dinner and lots of good reads. I bought a book on dream interpretation, one on great women in Islam, and my favorite, the Qur'an in Roman text transliteration!!!!! Super excited about that.

Saturday - Asiya's going away dinner, again near Penn area, was pretty nice and laid back casual -- love dinners in the city that are slow and intimate. There this one Uncle Jee dude kept staring me up and down... not your usual stare and qucikly glance away when you notice, but a steady stare that made me uncomfortable enough to look away myself.
He finally spoke to me.

Uncle Jee Dude: Are you from Pakistan or India?

Now, Im a bit flabbergasted because very rarely do people ever guess IndoPak origin for my background.

Me: Pakistan.
UJD: You're from Lahore right?
Me: Yes.
UJD: I knew you were from Punjab but I couldnt tell if you were from this side (india) or that side (pakistan).
Me (even more curious): How did you know?
UJD: Do you speak Punjabi?
Me: Yes.
UJD (in punjabi): Punjabis are a recognizable lot!

I had to laugh. He's right you know; you can always tell punjabis apart from the rest. It's like Jews and gentiles, if you will. LOL

Sunday - beautiful day. Perfect for walking six miles. The Art Museum area is gorgeous!!! I didnt think there could be so much grass in Philly all in one area. Anyway, for those who helped me reach my goal and collect $238, thank you for my sweatshirt and t-shirt! :)

I came back from the walk with plans to go out later on in the night but got sidetracked with sleep. I went to Home Depot and got a 12 setting massage/power spray showerhead. Absolutely amazing! Of course I had to try out every single setting which made me come out of the shower all prun-y and wrinkled. I fell fast asleep after that.. wet hair and all.

I woke up a few hours later with an indescribable craving for a slurpee, a 7 11 slurpee. Around 9pm I leave my apartment with the thought in mind and brain freeze from anticipation of the sweet, icy concoction. I had just burned an awesome dance cd too and being nighttime I somewhat lost my inhibition and let myself dance dance dance in my car down this one rather deserted stretch of street. Almost deserted. I soon noticed a white Mercedes pull up next to me at the stop light with the driver craning his neck to get a better view.

A veteran at this "game", I proceed normal, no more dancing -- damn him! -- and picking up speed at every passing light in hopes of shaking him from my side. No such luck. I pass a 7 11 but I keep on afraid of getting out and this guy approaching me... not because Im afraid of him physically per se but because I was wearing a t-shirt and pjs and had complete bedhair that had seemed to dry in waves on my pillow. I keep going, through a detour, getting lost and eventually falling back so that I was behind him instead of side by side. All for a slurpee?

Now Im getting pissed but he eventually veers off to the right and I proceed straight, happy, at being rid of him. Now Im in some ghetto area near a train station with people out front just ... standing. (I dont get people sometimes... what are they waiting for??? I know its not the train.)

I choose the worst moment, the particular moment of being surrounded by ghettoness, to throw my music back on, which causes everyone around me to jump back. It wasnt that loud.. although I did notice a few trees bouncing up and down....

So, I dont know where I am... until I see a sign for the Betsy Ross bridge. Hmm.. Ive never taken that before. Im already lost, whats the harm? I take it which leads me straight into Jersey. This whole time I have no phone, mind you, but I dont panick because I have a full tank of gas and as long as I stay on the main hwys, I should be fine.

Once I cross into Jersey Im automatically on this never-ending freeway. I veer off the first exit I can actually take, remember Jersey doesnt allow left turns so its not like I can just make a u-turn. I finally find a 7 11 and there mother-freakkin machine is down. If looks could kill, the guy who took it down woulda died... twice. Thank God it wasnt a desi owned 7 11, by the way because in a black tshirt, grey pjs and hair that looked like spiders had a webb-spinning contest in it I looked like death taking a stroll from a tomb on a mission to suck the living life of a Super Gulp slurpee.

FINE!.. kanjoos bekari logh!.. I'll just go get a drink from the refrigerator. I ended up getting a purple fizz whizz something or other.

I didnt make it back home until after 11p. 2 hours wasted all for nothing.

It was a really nice weekend all in all.

PS. To the one friend who thinks they can call me and get a sneak peak at my blog posts... FORGET IT! Next time, you're on your own pal! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I agree. Being pulled away from "work" to do "real work" is a horrible thing. I take pride in my self-proclaimed title as 'professional slacker.' Maybe I shouldn't be putting that on my resume though...

Glad you enjoyed the walk! Those t-shirts are awesome. I still have one from an Alzheimers walk at the LA Zoo I did....oh it must have been ten, eleven years ago? '96?

A good, high pressure shower head is key. If you're not going to use one of those, you may as well just do it Pakistani style and sit in a huge pateela and pour water over yourself.

And sorry about the slurpees. :{ You missed out. The first place you passed up had chutney flavored ones too.

The Brown Girl said...

LMAO @ pateela!! lol.. too funny!

i cringe @ the thought of chutney flavored slurpees