Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I Did It!!!


What is it about cooking that makes you face your fear of a vegetable and take the challenge of cutting and preparing it without flinching? At work, our prep techs are South Indian. South Indian cuisine has long been a mystery to me: How on Earth do people go without meat??


But lately, I've been noticing a change in my palate habits. I've begun exploring this vast world of vegetables and its not so bad. (Yesterday, I had a veggie diablo from the sandwich place -- eggplant, broccoli raab, sharp provolone, and peppers -- yum!-- over turkey anything) Ma is totally confused and Pa is ecstatic.

Me (before, when Ma didnt make a meat dish): What are we, Hindu?????


The neat thing is that I am learning all about new dishes to make from these two Aunties. Every other so often we'll try and bring something in to share at lunch. Yesterday, I told them I would bring in aloo gobi and Thresa Auntie will bring in roti.


I was super anxious to get started yesterday. I went shopping and got everything I needed. I got up reallly really early this morning --actually having been able to sleep early last night :(

and started doing the usual --- browning onions, cutting tomatoes and potatos. I didnt understand what exactly to do with the cauliflower so I just broke it into lots of pieces and threw away the stalk.


I made my own masala -- salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic, ginger, garam masala, etc. Good stuff!


I am so proud of myself because I did it without ONCE having to call Ma up. At one point I was about to (so what if its 4 in the morning -- she cooks in her sleep. she coulda helped out) because my potatoes weren't softening and my cauliflower looked like bleached raw broccoli sitting atop a pile of potatoe stock. I just turned down the heat and covered the dish, checked my mail, came back and it looked perfect, mA. (YES, I MASHA'ALLAH EVERYTHING. As a matter of fact, Im masha'Allah-ing this whole post in case you dont say it while reading.. AND I'm masha'Allahing my dish too so when people start saying stuff about it, it'll be ok.) What's next??? Palak with paneer (with homemade paneer).


Now here comes the final moment of truth: the taste test. I forgot completely about my fear and hate of aloo gobi until I absentmindedly took a fork and got some to taste. Oh, no. What now? So finally I took a deep breath and tried some.


Fan-freakkkkin-tastic!!!!!!!



...masha'Allah! ;)

5 comments:

Recovering D said...

Hey now I know who to turn to when I need some good veg recipes :)

Anonymous said...

mA, you could serve vaseline on toast and it would be good with sharp provolone! Yum...
To do: mA, go to Rite-Aid and Trader Joe's after work mA

I can't explain why I got so excited to read that you loved the cauliflower, but that's amazing news! I had a feeling after reading your horror story from several weeks ago that this day would soon be upon us.

The advent of this news raises the bar and is a sign of more things to come. What do I mean? Well, there's one food it's bothered me to see you shove aside, and that is, of course...

...MANGO!

So there's still hope! We'll start you off with a mango lassi.

Shaalimar awaits! FYI they serve Bambi there too.

The Brown Girl said...

ABSOLUTELY NO MANGO NO BAMBI!

Anonymous said...

Whats next....Rasmalai?

The Brown Girl said...

Hahaha, you wish!!!!!