Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Return to Innocence



I don't know if it was lack of oxygen to the brain or something else that caused momentary insanity but early in the morning (early early in the morning) my friend began speaking some very weird foreign language. I have heard it before and sometimes speak it myself still but recognized it immediately because it's what my niece and nephew speak: innocence.


KK: I got bit by a rat once.

Me: A rat! Oh my God! Did you have to get a shot for rabies.

KK: I did when I was younger.

Me: Rats carry rabies.

KK: Mice and rat are the same thing.

Me: HAHA <--- laughing hysterically until I realize he's serious.


KK: Yes. A rat is a male mouse. And the females are called mouse.

Me: Are you serious? (Who spiked your rooafzah captain?)

KK: What do you mean? I am serious. Look it up.


Note: I google everything. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever try and pull one on me because I will catch you in a verbal faux pas and you will forever be known, henceforth, by your mistake.
(KK shall, from now on, be known as Mighty Mouse -- yeah he's my hero)


Now, the sweetest thing, which at 3am is the real deal and not Splenda, is that Mighty Mouse is super serious and forever has imagined mice to be females and rats to be (big, super, strong, macho) male mice.
(Arrey nahi, apni generation ka ladka hai!)


We looked it up together and this is what we found:


Rat and mouse are actually not scientific classifications. These words are common names for rodents that look alike to the casual eye. Rat is used to describe medium-sized rodents with long thin tails. There are many species of rodent that are called rats -- kangaroo rats, cotton rats, Norway rats, black rats, African pouched rats, naked mole rats, wood rats, pack rats, Polynesian rats, and many others. These different rodent species may not be closely related to each other at all!


Mouse is used to describe tiny, sparrow-sized rodents with long thin tails. As with rats, there are many species of rodents called mice which may or may not be closely related to each other: house mice, field mice, deer mice, smoky mice, spiny mice, and dormice are all called mice. They are not the same species at all. :)


But, a friendship is not a true friendship until learning is mutual. Want to know what I learned? Sledging, in cricket lingo, is like the act of "talking-smack" for us in America. Sledging, huh? I thought that was when you got atop your flat-bat and slid down a sand dune. :P

Its ok Mighty Mouse, its all good. 'Mereko yeh 'ichh nahi maloom tha k tharray jai masoom duniya ichh bakki hain.' If I ever have to pick a guide for a tour through a haunted mansion amidst the ruins of an ancient city, it will most definitely be you.



(Mighty Mouse)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wiki refers to sledging as 'exchanging words with opposition player(s) which can put him(them) off their usual game; it is an attempt to "psych out" an opponent'. Cricket is a very interesting game, and sledging adds to it the extra spice that makes it much more than just a game.

Here are some of the sledging related incidents (as picked by camera microphones or player biographies) …


Viv Richards v Greg Thomas:
This incident took place during a county championship match between Glamorgan and Somerset. Glamorgan quickie Greg Thomas had beaten Viv Richards' bat a couple of times and informed the legendary West Indian ace: " It's red, round and weighs about five ounces, in case you were wondering."
The very next ball was given the King Viv treament and smashed out of the ground, into a river - at which point Richards piped up: " Greg, you know what it looks like. Now go and find it."


Ian Healy Vs Runatunga:
Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney… Healy: "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat c*nt!"

McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan:
McGrath: "So what does Brian Lara's d*ck taste like?"
Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife. "
McGrath (losing it): "If you ever F*&king mention my wife again, I'll F*cking rip your F*fing throat out."

Mark Waugh Vs Adam Parore:
Adam Parore, relatively new to cricket, came to the crease played & missed the first ball.
Mark Waugh- "Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were sh*t then, you're fu*king useless now".
Parore- "Yeah, that's me & when I was there you were going out with that old, ugly sl*t & now I hear you've married her.

Robin Smith and Merv Hughes:
Merv Hughes: " You can't f*cking bat".
Simth replied, after hitting a boundry, "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f*cking bat and you can't f*cking bowl ."

Rod Marsh and Ian Botham:
When Botham took guard in a Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the wicket with the immortal words: " So how's your wife and my kids?"

James Ormond and Mark Waugh:
James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was greeted by Mark Waugh.
Mark : "F*ck me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there's no way you're good enough to play for England"
James: "Maybe not, but at least i'm the best player in my family." (Mark Waugh’s twin brother Steve Waugh is considered one of the best batsmen of modern cricket)