Thursday, April 05, 2007

Things I Must Try/See in Pakistan


I didnt realize Balochistan was so big!

I havent been back to Pakistan in over 20 years but iA am planning a trip soon. Of all the places I would like to visit, and things to do Lahore/Multan and visiting friends, family, and grandparents graves are a given.


1.) Pakola (the green kind)
2.) Paan
3.) Guavas
4.) Mithai (from a known mithai-erie, Im sure thats not what they call a mithai shop)
5.) Jubilee (if they still make it)
6.) Kashmiri Chai
7.) Food from hole-in-the-wall-places... nothing says TB like Street vendors!
8.)(from Kite Runner) I want to travel the Khyber Pass in an H1 Hummer, ok a jeep will do. ANYTHING but a rickshaw.
9.) Quetta, Balochistan
10.) Our house in Abbottabad
11.) Peshawar, North-West Frontier Province
12.) The Red-light district, even if it is just a drive-by to throw stones at the dancers.
13.) Fly a kite
14.) Shah Faisal Masjid in Islamabad
15.) Rawalpindi
16.) Badshai Masjid
17.) Shalimar Gardens
18.) Murree

Will I have enough time?!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha Farah...some updates are needed here i see...
a) for some reason, pakola always tasted better when we were young. I don't know if they changed the formula now but its going to make you gag...don't do it!!
b) No they don't make Jubilee anymore. Seriously broke my heart that did. We have candyland's NOW chocoalte but nothing like good old jubilee. If you DO find some..GoSH! I'd so NOT advise you to eat it...it must be a decade old.
c)And yes... Do go around and do all the rest. you seem to have a pretty good idea of what makes pakistan..well..Pakistan!
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Oh and we call a mithai-arie (ha ah ha) a mithai wala OR a halwai ki dukaan.
:D

The Brown Girl said...

no more Jubileeee...dammit! I knew I should have gone back sooner

LOL at halwai ki dukaan.

Its really all about the shopping!!

Anonymous said...

20 years....wow, it changed so much in the seven years between my visits ('93 and 2000) and I can't even try to imagine how different it is now. I wonder if the Dunkin's Donuts are three stories yet

You listed a lot of nice things, but you neglected a few of the more important ones...so I'd like to present the following ammendments -

Riding a camel is mandatory! It's not the most exhilirating thing in the world, but it's fun...and camels are one of the coolest creatures on earth!

Maybe Khyber pass would be fun in a hummer, but if you don't ride a rickshaw at all during your trip, for shame...

An fresh, authentic aloo poori breakfast

Of course some absurd bootleg clothing and gear. I'm sure a Goach umbrella will hold up just as well in the rain as the real thing :}

and lastly, and perhaps the most important... Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaango!

Recovering D said...

I missed Pakola so bad too, and was thrilled when I found it at our local Desi store, and cherie's right, it tastes different. Maybe it's the bottle that adds flavor? And guavas are awsome, try guava chaat, it's delish.

Anonymous said...

Lahore Fort!